Corporate Tax Professional
Date of birth:
Address:Norfolk, VA / Pittsburgh, PA
2. Irex Contracting Group
Corporate Tax Manager
Managed and coordinated the filing of all tax returns for this $200 million dollar company’s eleven subsidiaries. The company had operations in 48 states as well as five Canadian Provinces. We used Arthur Andersen Corporate Tax Solution to prepare the income and franchise returns from a data file provided by the company’s JD Edwards general ledger system. In addition to the annual filings I also coordinate quarterly estimated payments and the filing of the all sales and use returns. These vary from monthly to annual in filing frequency. During my 32 months at Irex I was able to bring the corporate income and franchise tax returns back in house saving the company in excess of $90,000 annually. I also managed the transition from a completely manual system to a point where everything is tracked on databases and all returns are computerized.
3. General Nutrition, Inc.
Senior Tax Director
GNC is a leading specialty retailer of nutritional supplements including vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements, sports nutrition products, diet products and other wellness products. The Company’s business is vertically integrated, as the operations consist of purchasing raw materials, formulating and manufacturing products and selling the finished products through its retail, franchising and manufacturing/wholesale segments. The Company operates primarily in three business segments: Retail, Franchising, and Manufacturing/Wholesale.
Senior Tax Director
As the top tax executive for this billion dollar multinational corporation I reported directly to the CFO. Tax planning, corporate structure and ASC 740 / FAS 109 reporting were some of my primary responsibilities. My staff of ten was responsible for the timely filing of the consolidated Federal tax return, over 300 state and local income tax returns as well as thousands of sales and use, gross receipts and property tax filings every year. Oversight and coordination of the defense of all income tax, franchise tax, and s&u tax audits. After an acquisition in 2006 I implemented tax methods that accelerated more than $20M in tax deductions in addition to the acceleration of $10M in transaction related costs that were capitalized by the company for book purposes. During the company’s 2004 and 2006 acquisitions I coordinated the tax area of the due diligence process.
* Implemented FIN 48
* Implemented internal controls to comply with Sec. 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act
* Managed the implementation of s&u tax compliance software including integration with sales reports generated by the IT department.
* Managed the implementation of a tax calendar system that improved scheduling for all taxes prepared by the dept.
* Implemented new internal systems to assure compliance with state unclaimed property rules and regulations. Including in-depth analysis of gift card policies.
4. Landmark Communications, Inc.
Landmark Communications was a privately held company which specialized in media properties including The Weather Channel and several local television stations and newspapers. In January of 2008 the Batten family announced they had decided to divest all of Landmark’s holdings.
Director of Tax
Directed all federal, state and local income tax compliance. There were 17 wholly owned subsidiaries who had filing requirements spread across thirty states. This, of course included estimated tax, extension requests, return preparation and audit defense.
Managed the implementation of Tax Stream tax provision software as a preparatory step in setting up due diligence for the tax area. Managed ASC 740 / FAS109 accounting for income taxes for current year as well as for restatement of financials for divestiture.
Managed the tax due diligence process for the sale and attempted sale of several entities in the process of divesting the Batten family of their holdings. Left for the position at JTH Tax when management of Landmark was comfortable that I met conditions and received my “stay bonus” at completion of my duties.
5. ValueOptions, Inc.
Corporate Tax Director
ValueOptions Inc is a privately held company providing a wide range of behavioral health services nationwide through a number of affiliated companies. ValueOptions is the nation’s largest independent behavioral health and wellness company.
Director of Corporate Tax –
Responsible for federal, state and local corporate income and franchise tax compliance for 19 subsidiaries inside and outside of the Federal consolidated return. The entities were c corporations, partnerships and multi member LLC’s. Several entities filed in almost every US state and there were 7 state filing groups maintained. The tax compliance work included responsibility for all estimated tax payments, extension requests and return preparation.
I was also responsible for the preparation of the GAAP and STAT basis tax provisions and all associated journal entries and footnote disclosures in the audited financial statements. This included the full responsibility for compliance with FIN 48 analysis, calculation and disclosure.
As Director, I was responsible for and mentored a staff of four.
* Managed the implementation of FIN 48 within the organization. This included identifying potential areas of income tax risk and measuring the probability that the company would prevail.
* Managed the migration of the tax provision calculation from RIA Tax Provision software to Tax Stream.
* Managed the reimplementation of the Vertex Tax Calendar software to make better use of of the planning capabilities and postage database.
* Managed state income tax audits to favorable conclusions.
6. Independent Consultant
Providing business consulting services to various businesses.
• Preparation of federal and state corporation tax returns
• Corporate tax provision process implementation
• ACT740 compliance including journal entry and footnote preparation
• Led a team researching sales & use tax issues for a Marcellus Shale gas producer
• Manage sales & use tax audits for an upstream oil and gas production company
• Set up procedures for foreign withholding taxes for a multinational gas company
• Assistance in the setup of several web based businesses
• Advise regarding sales tax collection on a web based retail website
• Guidance in the implementation of accounting internal controls to ensure correct accounting
• Advice regarding setup of payment processing for a web based retail site
• Clients included Talisman Energy USA, Inc. a multinational oil and gas company.